Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Meet Ashely Klein

Ashely Klein took a moment to share her experiences in the insurance industry with us.  She is currently a WLI committee member as well as a Commercial Underwriter at Chubb Group of Insurance Companies.


1. How did you become interested in insurance? 
I was actually approached by one of my college professors while I was in the process of interviewing for jobs.  He encouraged me to interview with Chubb Insurance because they had a strong reputation in the industry and one of his former students (still at Chubb) was enjoying a career at the company.
 
2. What about this field are you most passionate?

Working with the people and solving problems is what I am most passionate about.  I believe this can translate over to many careers, but the insurance industry is a tight-knit community that works together to protect what their clients have worked so hard to build.
 

3. What motivates you? 
I am a very competitive person, so I believe what best motivates me is doing my best and winning accounts.  I want to make people feel good about what I am offering and confident that they have just purchased something no one else can offer, whether that be the product or the service that comes with it.

 
4. How did you get your start in the industry?

I started with Chubb Insurance in Louisville, KY as a Specialty Underwriter right out of College. Several current Chubb employees also attended the school I went to (Centre College) and recruited directly on campus.  From there, I continued on as a Specialty Underwriter in Cincinnati and Indianapolis.  I eventually moved back to Louisville and became a Commercial Underwriter for the standard market.
 

5. What is your biggest regret?
I truly have no regrets.  I was able to move around a little early in my career, but even when I moved back to Louisville and became more stationary, have taken several opportunities to work throughout the country for the Company in other capacities.
 

6. What is your biggest success?
Besides becoming a working Mom, my biggest success has been transitioning into the commercial side of the business.  Some people are very nervous about change and learning something new so far into their career, but it has given me more opportunity and a broader scope of knowledge that should allow me to move farther in my career path.
 

7. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Accept any opportunity that is presented.  Don't be afraid to take on new opportunities as they will open up even more in your future.
 

8. Where do you hope to see WLI in 5 years?
I hope to see WLI as a true membership organization that offers it's members continual education, forums, information, and networking events throughout the year and not just a once a year luncheon.
 

9. Who was your idol growing up?
My idol growing up was any woman who was confident and good at what she did.  I was in awe of well organized mothers and women who worked hard for a living.  Of course, those who could do both, that was just amazing.
 

10. A quick bio about yourself, including an interesting fact.
Ashely Foley Klein
Born in Lexington, KY
BS in Economics from Centre College
Started with Chubb Group of Insurance Companies in 1996 - Current Sr Commercial Underwriter in Louisville, KY
Married with Three Children
Interesting Fact: I try to complete a cross word puzzle every night.


Thanks to Ashely for sharing all this great information with us!  Make sure you take a moment to stop her at the conference and ask how her crossword puzzles are going.  She'd love to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment